Humanitarian Affairs Officer – MSF
Médecins Sans Frontieres (MSF – Doctors Without Borders) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of religion, creed or political affiliation. To develop this work from Gaza, we are recruiting a:
HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS OFFICER
MSF Belgium is currently seeking to hire HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS OFFICER to join the Medical team in our Gaza project.
Position in the Organization
- Reports to (Hierarchical): HEAD OF MISSION
- Reports to (Functional): HEAD OF MISSION
- Job Family: OPERATIONS
- Supervises (Function): N/A
OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
Contribute to the development of humanitarian affairs activities in the mission by supporting the coordination team in the analysis of context, humanitarian situation and advocacy strategies, according to MSF policies and values.
- Information and data seeking to support the mission in the analysis of humanitarian issues and related medical needs and in conducting informed decision making for advocacy purposes in close collaboration with the intersectional comm
- Engage, monitor and compile regular updates on humanitarian aid system dynamics (NGO/Donor planning, UN, ICRC movement activities and positioning) to increase the leverage capacity and the impact of MSF advocacy in line with operational plans, regular activities and medical-humanitarian advocacy objectives.
- Mapping of actors/stakeholders in Gaza to optimize humanitarian interventions and ensure MSF has a more detailed vision of the humanitarian activities and how MSF could support existing activities as well as address potential gaps, in conjunction with the HoM and MedCo
- Engage with other local actors and the communities we serve for background knowledge as well as to develop an analysis more connected to the discourses and needs on the ground.
- Draft ad hoc lobbying/advocacy points and internal/external reports in relation to main medical-humanitarian concerns while strengthening the integration of humanitarian affairs (analysis, critical reflection, contextual understanding) and operational communications.
- Drafts regular situation reports for mission/HQ as well as reports for external use in line with mission advocacy strategy.
- Propose improvements in the methodologies and tools used, and provide trainings to field teams as required
- Support networking needs including with domestic civil society) professional groups (doctors’/nurses’ associations), and other actors of interest.
Lead discussions, trainings, briefings, etc. on the Gaza’s medical-humanitarian context, MSF principles, international humanitarian law, medical ethics, and advocacy activities/strategies to raise awareness of MSF national and international staff on these topics.
- Academic background (anthropology/social/political sciences, law, gender studies, protection)
- Essential experience with MSF or other NGOs
- Essential previous experience in research, analysis and advocacy
- Good understanding of current humanitarian debates and of the dilemma/compromise nature of modern humanitarian interventions
- Very good writing skills, English and Arabic
This job description may be amended in line with the activities or evolution of the Mission
Selected candidate must be free for all engagement and show proof of non-employment e.g with the Ministry of Health.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit their application letter and CV in English, with reference details to:
Médecins Sans Frontières, Human Resources Department – Gaza Project
Mentioning: HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS OFFICER
Deadline: 19th May , 4:00 p m
Only sending via e-mail will be accepted
A Security Clearance certificate issued by MOI will required at the last stage of the recruitment process.